Gerard Houckgeest The Tomb of William the Silent in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft
Em exibição em Sala 16
In the Nieuwe Kerk, or New Church, in the city of Delft, some visitors are looking at the tomb of William of Orange, the Father of the Fatherland. Our view of the monument is obstructed by the large white column bearing seventeenth-century graffiti.
Houckgeest was an important innovator of the Dutch church interior. He was the first artist to depict spaces using a diagonal perspective, rather than in their length or breadth, thus giving the scene a more accidental, natural effect.
Gerard Houckgeest (The Hague 1600 - 1661 Bergen op Zoom)
The Tomb of William the Silent in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft
Nome do objeto
Número de inventário
Em exibição em
Material e detalhes técnicos
38 x 56 cm
Signed and dated
middenonder, op de voet van de zuil: GH 1651 GH ineen
P.H. Gelijs, Antwerp; Willem Lormier, The Hague, 1757-1763; Pieter Leendert de Neufville, Amsterdam, 1764; Prince William V, The Hague, 1764-1795; confiscated by the French, transferred to the Muséum Central des Arts/Musée Napoléon (Musée du Louvre), Paris, 1795-1815; Royal Picture Gallery, housed in the Prince William V Gallery, The Hague, 1816; transferred to the Mauritshuis, 1822
Bem-vindo ao Mauritshuis! O nosso Web site utiliza cookies. Prefere não aceitar cookies ou gostaria de ler mais sobre os cookies que utilizamos? Em caso afirmativo, selecione “Gerir Cookies”.