John Charles Robinson, London, 1869 (as by Gerrit Berckheyde); Sir Francis Cook, Doughty House, Richmond; by inheritance to Herbert Cook (1868-1939), Richmond, 1934; together with 39 other paintings acquired by D. Katz Gallery, Dieren, 1939-1940; H. Posse; Adolf Hitler, Führermuseum, Linz; Stichting Nederlands Kunstbezit (inv. no. NK 2549); on loan to the Mauritshuis, 1948-1960; transferred, 1960
This painting is part of the Netherlands Art Property Collection (‘NK collection’): objects that were stolen, seized or purchased during the Nazi regime. After the Second World War they were placed under the administration of the Dutch State. In recent decades, applications for restitution are taken into consideration again and some objects have been returned to the heirs of their rightful owners.