Saint Barbara is recognisable by the tower where her father had her locked away after she converted to Christianity. Barbara wears colourful clothing embellished with gold embroidery and magnificent jewels. In her hand she holds an ostrich feather given to her by the Christ Child in a vision.
This painting belongs with the panel hanging to the left. Together they formed the side panels of an altarpiece that is now in Liverpool. The painter is an anonymous Antwerp artist known rather misleadingly as the Master of Frankfurt.
George Grenville, first Marquess of Buckingham, Stowe, before 1783, and his heirs; George Donaldson Gallery, London, before 1914; Walter von Pannwitz (1856-1920), Berlin, c.1914-1920; his widow, Cathalina von Pannwitz-Roth (1876-1959), Bennebroek and Heemstede, 1920-1940 (cat. 1926, no. 21); sold by her via W.A. Hofer to Hermann Göring, Berlin, 18 October 1940; Stichting Nederlands Kunstbezit (inv. no. NK 2555); on loan to the Mauritshuis, 1948-1960; transferred, 1960
This painting is part of the Netherlands Art Property Collection (‘NK collection’): objects that were stolen, seized or purchased during the Nazi regime. After the Second World War they were placed under the administration of the Dutch State. In recent decades, applications for restitution are taken into consideration again and some objects have been returned to the heirs of their rightful owners.
¡Bienvenido al Mauritshuis! Nuestro sitio web utiliza cookies. ¿Prefieres no aceptar cookies o quieres más información sobre las cookies que utilizamos? En caso afirmativo, selecciona «Administrar las cookies».