Govert Flinck

Allegory on the Memory of Stadholder Frederik Hendrik (1584-1647), with a Portrait of his Widow, Amalia of Solms-Braunfels (1602-1675)

1116 detail signatuur
1116 ingelijst
1116 voorzijde
1116 voorzijde

Govert Flinck
Allegory on the Memory of Stadholder Frederik Hendrik (1584-1647), with a Portrait of his Widow, Amalia of Solms-Braunfels (1602-1675)

1654 Non visitabile

Frederik Hendrik had been dead a number of years when Amalia of Solms commissioned this painting from Govert Flinck. She nonetheless had herself portrayed in full mourning, sitting by his tomb. Amalia’s future was uncertain at this time; after the death of Frederik Hendrik, the so-called First Stadholderless Period had begun, and it seemed as if the dominance of the House of Orange had come to an end. There was, however, a glimmer of hope for the dynasty: the figure with the anchor personifies hope, and even holds a sprig of orange blossom.

Amalia, Hope and Flinck’s faith was rewarded – when William V inherited the painting a century later, the House of Orange was still firmly in charge.

Dettagli tecnici
1116 voorzijde

Govert Flinck
Allegory on the Memory of Stadholder Frederik Hendrik (1584-1647), with a Portrait of his Widow, Amalia of Solms-Braunfels (1602-1675)

1654 Non visitabile

Torna su

Dettagli

Informazioni generali
Govert Flinck (Cleves 1615 - 1660 Amsterdam)
Allegory on the Memory of Stadholder Frederik Hendrik (1584-1647), with a Portrait of his Widow, Amalia of Solms-Braunfels (1602-1675)
1654
painting
1116
Materiale e dettagli tecnici
oil
canvas
189 x 307 cm
Iscrizione
rechts, in de achtergrond: G. Flinck f. 1654

Origine

The painting was ordered by Amalia of Solms-Braunfels for the ‘large cabinet’ of Huis ten Bosch Palace, The Hague, 1654 (see The Hague 1997-1998, p. 130, fig. 2) and was removed in 1816; Prince William V Gallery, The Hague, until 1821; transferred, 1822; transferred to the Nederlands Museum voor Geschiedenis en Kunst, Amsterdam, 1876; Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam (inv. no. SK-A-869), 1885; on long-term loan from the Rijksmuseum for the Prince William V Gallery, since 1998