rechtsboven: Cornelis de Graeff. / Out XXIIII Jaer. / M.DC.LXXIIII datum incorrect
Probably by inheritance to dowager Van Lennep-Deutz van Assendelft, The Hague, 1903; dowager A.M.B. van Zuylen van Nijevelt (d. 1929) and heirs, Wassenaar, until 1942 (on loan to the Mauritshuis, 1933-1942); E. Plietzsch, The Hague and Berlin, 1942; Staatliche Kunsthalle, Karlsruhe, 1942-1945; Stichting Nederlands Kunstbezit (inv. no. NK 2925); on loan to the Mauritshuis, 1948-1960; transferred, 1960
Second World War
This painting is part of the Netherlands Art Property Collection (‘NK collection’): objects that were stolen, seized or purchased during the Nazi regime. After the Second World War they were placed under the administration of the Dutch State. In recent decades, applications for restitution are taken into consideration again and some objects have been returned to the heirs of their rightful owners.